STEAK STIR FRY WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE
Thank you, @nakedsoles, for twisting my social media arm and forcing me to give cauliflower rice a try again. Let’s get real, I’ll do anything you want me to (exceptsharenewclothes. itsalittlesisterthing). All jest aside, I have been making this rice substitute wrong forever…or since the one time I tried it and lost faith in vegetables for 6 years. The key is roasting it. Don’t steam it, you’ll hate your life and eat chicken nuggets to recover. All the nuggets. Don’t rush. Recovery takes time. Roasting gives it a firmer exterior and an al-dente interior which is a perfect rice imitation.
CAULIFLOWER RICE (original recipe)
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Remove cauliflower florets and place in vitamix/blender/food processor. Pulse until finely chopped (~1 cm).
- Place on pan and coat in cooking spray. Shake pan a little and spread it all out.
- Roast for 15-20 mins or until some “rice” is brown.
STEAK STIR FRY (paleo friendly)
Once you get your rice going, you can move on to the easy part. Frying up your veggies. I never use the same veggies for stir fry, so feel free to get creative or use leftovers. Some interesting additions could be asparagus, watered chestnuts, bamboo shoots, leek, or even chopped cabbage.
- 1 T coconut oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped (big pieces)
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 c mushrooms (whatever kind. I had baby bellas)
- 1 c chopped carrots
- 1 T sesame seeds
- 1 T mirin
- 2 T teriaki
- 1/2 lb sirloin steak, seasoned salt + pepper
- 1 recipe cauliflower rice
- 2 eggs
- Heat coconut oil over med/high heat, saute garlic until fragrant.
- Add onion, saute 2-3 mins.
- Add broccoli, saute 3 mins, add remaining veggies, sesame seeds, and mirin.
- Grill sirloin to medium rare ~2.5 mins/side. Remove from heat. (veggies still going). Rest 4-6 mins.
- Scramble two eggs, set aside.
- Chop steak to 1 in cubes. Should look delicious.
- Add teriaki to veggies and toss. Remove from heat, add steak.
- Mix scrambled eggs with cauliflower rice.
- Top egg/rice mixture with vegetables and steak.
SIDEBAR: Buy your groceries on Wednesday! I’m a Sunday grocery shopper. Me and the rest of Northern Virginia. We all go to Wegman’s at 4:00 on Sunday and proceed to showcase the best of our East Coast personalities (#typeA, noonemovesheretowait, bitchthatsmysalmon. whobringskidstothegauntlet). If you had asked me to shop for groceries on Wed three months ago, I would have laughed in your face. Its not what I do. My week follows a strict formula. Sunday = groceries/meal prep. Monday-Fri = try to make it. Sat = drink. Now, I’d have to apologize to your imaginary and wise face. I’m a convert. We didn’t use up last week’s groceries until Tuesday because of our trip, which left me with a weekday run. Everything was SO CHEAP. Everything. Like 66% retail cheap. I bought so much meat because the deals were too good to pass up. Organic? Yes please. Lamb? Sure, why not? Two Cornish hens? My blog be flossin. \endsoapbox
Below are my eats for DAY 12. Stay tuned for the bolognese sauce recipe. I promise, its worth the wait.